Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Must be doing something right..........

Wow, I can't believe it has been it has been a month and a half since my last post. Life in the Alvis household has been crazy busy since Christmas time. I feel very blessed for the life I have  and what God continues to give me and my family. Our children are all healthy and happy. Jaret is doing much better after fighting for a month with a kidney stone and having it removed, so thankful it wasn't more serious than it was. We are at the height of competition season for Hannah in gymnastics. We are so proud of her for sticking with it even when it gets hard.  I really don't have much to complain about, God is providing for all our needs and we have wonderful and great friends who are helping us along the way.

What has prompted this post was something that was said to me today.  I was talking to Hannah's gymnastic coach today about upcoming competitions and how she was doing since the last meet when she said something to me I really was not expecting. Now anyone who knows my family understands that we do not use the word "step" when we refer to each other in conversations. I always introduce Hannah and Faith as my daughters, just as Jaret refers to Colin and David as his sons. Here is the conversation:

Coach:  Hannah is very lucky to have you in her life.

Me:  Really? Why is that?

Coach:  Well, because you are so involved in her gymnastics, you're always at her competitions, you always are volunteering if anything needs done. There aren't many step-parents who would do as much as you do for her or be as involved. I don't even see many parents that committed anymore.

Me:  Wow, Thank You!  I'm very lucky to be able to be such a big part of her life. We've always taken the stance in our family that there are no steps, we are just one big family.

Now I'm not saying it's always easy, because it certainly isn't but we are blessed with 4 wonderful children who get along great when they are together. They don't fight often and are always watching out for one another.  It is only by the grace of God that our family works as well as it does.  Maybe part of the reason is Jaret and I always stand on a united front, especially when it comes to decisions and disciplining the kids.



I talk to many people who are constantly fighting another or pitting parent and step-parent against each other. I pray that they can find some peace and common ground in their lives.  That they allow God to enter their lives and show them how to make it work.

The conversation with my daughter's gym coach was just what I needed to help me to realize that I really am doing this "parenting thing" right.  There is no manual about how to truly, successfully blend two different families. God is helping me to do this and I am so thankful for His hand in my life and in the lives of my children when they are with us and away from us.

No comments:

Post a Comment